Homunculus Rex - Option Paralysis is out now! Option Paralysis is the mutant progeny of fully refined mid-2011 and early-2012 Homunculus Rex (HRex) lineup of co-composers Ryan Morgan (Electric Bass, Acoustic Guitar, MIDI Bass, Synths) and Josh Sonstroem (Laptop, Programming, Samples/Sound design, Controllers, Synths, Melodica, Harmonica). This 9 song, 59 minute full length LP features a wide range of guest musicians and progresses thru a rapidly shifting series of genre-bending soundscapes. Atypical keys and time signatures not divisible by 4 add to the novel feel of many of the compositions.
Also featuring guest musicians: D. Morgan (Analog Synth) on 'Carbide the Pixels'; B. K. Axel (Acoustic Guitar) on 'Turtles all the way down' and 'Mental showers, Brain flowers'; John Bitter (Electric Guitar), Anatole Shaw (Synth), and Ronnie Turturici (Analog Synth) featured on 'Become yourself again and again'.
Mastered by Tarekith at Inner Portal Studios in Seattle, WA USA. Album art and design by Dextro. Band photo by Sydni Indman. The album was produced on an Apple Laptop, primarily utilizing Ableton and MAX/MSP. Recorded in Santa Cruz, CA, USA during 2011/12 at the HRex Prima Studio by Auralox. Mixed by Auralox.
Homunculus Rex - Option Paralysis (58:32)
- 1. Carbide the Pixels - 4/4 @120/110bpm (8:42)
- 2. Mental showers, Brain flowers - 4/4 @106bpm (5:02)
- 3. The plain of immanence - 4/4 @138bpm (4:53)
- 4. Finally, this shoulder has burdened the beast - 7/4 @82bpm (7:57)
- 5. Horse shoes and Hand grenades - 6/8 @120bpm (5:35)
- 6. Do they still make those? - 4/4 @96bpm (8:46)
- 7. Thought constructs - 4/4 @95bpm (5:47)
- 8. Turtles all the way down - 4/4 @92bpm (5:55)
- 9. Become yourself again and again - 4/4 @92/114bpm (6:06)
All songs by Homunculus Rex. Option Paralysis was Ryan Morgan and Josh Sonstroem.
Homunculus Rex - Cottage Industry is the combined output of the early-2010 to mid-2011 Homunculus Rex (HRex) lineup. This 51 minute, 5 song EP includes one hidden track and is the collective effort of the full 4 piece group, featuring co-composers Ryan Morgan (bass/guitar), Josh Sonstroem (computers/synths/controllers), Keith Garrett (computers/sampling/controllers), and Kevin Northcutt (drums/percussion).
The album recording and production took place at HR's Prima Studio in Santa Cruz, CA USA over a span of about 13 months. Each song contains a mix of certain aspects which were written/performed collaboratively and other elements that were written by one co-composer independently and brought back to the collective. This is also true of the guitar and bass riffs that form the root motifs of the tracks. Notably, this album was produced entirely utilizing two computers MIDI time-synced over ethernet, lending to the albums unique sound: a blending two distinct computer production styles -- Ambient and IDM -- layered on top of the intricacies of the live instrumentation.
To further enhance the mistique of Cottage Industry the final versions of the tracks were mixed remotely by Keith while he was traveling abroad through India and Nepal. The album was mastered by Tarekith at Inner Portal Studios in Seattle, WA USA. Album art by Anatole Shaw. Thank you internet.
Homunculus Rex - Cottage Industry (50:03)
- 1. The Logical Extension Of Capitalism Is Murder (9:28)
- 2. I Love You Because You're Dying; But We're All Dying; I Don't Love Everyone (10:17)
- 3. Getting Used To Everything (8:32)
- 4. Not All Who Wander Are Lost (9:34)
- 5. Fragile Hinterland Of Possibility Between The Unpredictible And The Familiar (7:22)
- 0. I'm Strong Enough To Be Happy When You Are Happy (HIDDEN TRACK, 4:55)
All songs by Homunculus Rex. Cottage Industry was Ryan Morgan, Josh Sonstroem, Keith Garrett, Kevin Northcutt.